Texas DAR Kings Highway Project

darThe Kings Highway, also known as El Camino Real and the Old San Antonio Road, played a vital part in the history and development of the state for more than 400 years. It was used as a trade route by the Indians and French traders. It was an exploration route used by the Spanish and French. It also served as a military highway for the Mexican and Texas armies. It served as a migration route for the many immigrants traveling westward.

The decision to place commemorative markers along the Kings Highway was made at the Texas Society Daughters of the American Revolution (TSDAR) State Conference in Galveston in November 1911. As a part of the Texas Society DAR Centennial celebration in 1995, the decision was made to locate and rededicate as many of these markers as possible. A copy of Major V.N. Zively’s original survey had been located and copied from the Texas State Archives for this purpose. Since then, chapters and individual Daughters have been involved in finding, repairing, documenting, and rededicating these markers. As of February 2006, all but nine of the 123 markers had been located.

Texas DAR Historical Marker Project

In 1936 the Texas Society published a book featuring markers placed by DAR at historical sites in Texas. The book, entitled “Markers Placed by the Texas Daughters of the American Revolution” with illustrations and historical sketches, is currently being revised to include later markers placed. For information about the location of markers, please contact our state historian.

Texas DAR Forest

darIn 1929 Texas Society DAR acquired, by gift and purchase, one hundred fifty acres of pine land in Jasper County, near Buna, on FM 1004. The State Society also maintains the DAR State Forest in the deep Piney Woods area of southeastern Texas. During the term of State Regent Mrs. Rountree in 1931-1934, there was a donation of 100 acres of forestland in east Texas. Subsequently, the State Society purchased 50 adjoining acres and still owns this land today. The forest was dedicated 31 October 1929 and rededicated 31 October 1995, as a part of the TSDAR Centennial Celebration.